Scooter Cannonball 2006

Thirty scooters... 3293 miles cross-country... Everything will be fine.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

TomTom Rider sadness

I got a TomTom Rider earlier this year. It is a cool little GPS. Quite rugged, it has already survived falling out of the mount at 60+ mph (the sight of it tumbling down the side of the road like a little rock is etched in my memory).

However, that is the issue. The top clasp is not very effective at holding the GPS in the cradle. Then, this weekend on our shakedown ride to Lake Michigan, the top clasp completely broke off the cradle base, exposing the thin plastic that was supposed to hold the whole thing together.

I'll be calling TomTom in the morning to see what they can do, as I'm sure they won't want pictures of my TomTom double rubber-banded to the base floating around the Internet. However, as an engineer I don't see how they solve the problem by just replacing my cradle/clasp, it seems like that one will fail too.

Perhaps Garmin will have a trade-in for their new motorcycle GPS that is coming out in the fall. Too late for this trip and sad for me, as I've finally got a decent stable mounting mechanism (using the RAM Mount hardware for the Rider) and have the Rider powered from the scooter as well.

(My apologies to those who might have seen this previously as a comment, I think this needs more prominent display.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home